The theory behind why we love to wear the color black is simple and complex at the same time. Many of us tend to use this style as a safety net while others use it to feel different from the norm. Some tend to utilize this technique as a way to slim and deemphasize parts of their bodies. Others see this as a uniform or a simplistic way of dressing. Black can be many things to different individuals but it can be concluded that black is classic and iconic and has been explored and loved by many great people in fashion as well as all of us as consumers of it. Here are some of my favorite quotes that sum up wearblacktheory:
1. “I’ll stop wearing black when they make a darker color.” – Wednesday Addams
Though Wednesday Addams isn’t a real person or even someone who works in fashion, one can’t deny that this is one of the most iconic lines of all time regarding wearing the color black. Arguably, Wednesday’s style has impacted and influenced the culture of fashion in a way that anyone that loves to wear the black can relate to.
2. “You can wear black at any time. You can wear it at any age. You may wear it for almost any occasion; a ‘little black frock’ is essential to a woman’s wardrobe.” – Christian Dior
Christian Dior had a major point when he stated that black can be worn at anytime. There is no age barrier and all individuals can be said to look good wearing the color black. it is universal from casual wear to more formal. The “little black frock” is mandator and every woman should own several!
3. “Women think of all colors except the absence of color. I have said that black has it all. White too. Their beauty is absolute. It is the perfect harmony.” – Coco Chanel
Coco Chanel, who is probably one of the most influential people to solidify wearing black as a standard that would soon become iconic and influence so many. Black truly does have it all and is always appealing no matter who wears it. White is also a great counter part to black and is always complementary.
4. “I work in three shades of black.” – Rei Kawakubo
“Black, Matte Black, Rich Black” – Chardonnay T.
5. “Black is always elegant. It is the most complete color in the whole world, made of all the colors in the palette.” – Ricardo Tisci
Elegance and black definitely go hand and hand. As it is the absence of color or all the colors combined, black has the power to be absolute when it comes to clothing. Some of the best designs have always been more impactful when they come in black.
6. “Black is not sad. Bright colors are what depresses me. They’re so … empty. Black is poetic. How do you imagine a poet? In a bright yellow jacket? Probably not.” – Ann Demeulemeester
Though many think black is only a color for mourning, I believe it is definitely the happiest color for me. It is vivid and concrete and does the opposite of what most other colors do for a particular garment. As Ann Demeulemeester says, “Black is not sad. Bright colors are what depresses me.” I can definitely relate as often times too much color when done incorrectly can definitely be depressing.
7. “Black is modest and arrogant at the same time. Black is lazy and easy—but mysterious. But above all, black says this: I don’t bother you—don’t bother me.” – Yohji Yamamoto
This is probably the best overall description of how I feel about the color black. It is these same dichotomies and contradictions that embody wearblacktheory.
8. “One is never over- or underdressed with a little black dress.” – Karl Lagerfeld
Karl Lagerfeld said it best, a little black dress is the cure all no matter the occasion. You can definitely never be under nor over dressed in a black frock. It is mostly always appropriate and can be easily dressed up or down. This piece is an essential for all women and owning several options is necessary.
9. “I love black because it affirms, designs, and styles. A woman in a black dress is a pencil stroke.” — Yves Saint Laurent
Yves Saint Laurent made strong use of the color black in several of his collections which also solidify the hue as a early staple in the fashion community. The idea that the color affirms a design and gives it true meaning allowing the work and construction of a garment to truly shine.
10. “I think in black.” – Gareth Pugh
Black is a constant part of my personal aesthetic and most of the things around me also share that same color pallet. Whether it is my home, work or even leisure, I prefer a color scheme that is in line with the color black.
Like I always say, when in doubt…wear black! xo